Saturday, April 14, 2012

It's Been a While

It certainly has been a while since the last time I posted. Spring semester started out pretty carefree, but it soon inundated me with work from various classes. But there are only two weeks left - I can't believe that it  all went so quickly!

On a more somber note, one of the best friends I've ever had, Hooligan #1 (Bacci) passed away two days after I returned to school after having been home for a week during spring break. He was almost four years old - just two months away from it in fact. I distinctly recall getting up early that morning to study a bit for a quiz that I had for an 11am class. As I was walking into the restroom, I saw the text from my dad - Bacci was gone. Just like that. He had been fine while I was home for winter break, but didn't look too good the entire time I was there for spring break. Even knowing that, I didn't expect him to go so soon. My original plans for that week in March involved going to Honduras with a medical brigade, but that fell through - and thank goodness that it did. The last seven days or so I was to ever spend with my little green stink bug are something that I will remember and cherish always.

I miss him.

No more head-scratch sessions with him.

No more picking up tiny green feathers that had been molted.

When I arrive home after my last final exam, there will only be one food bowl to fill.

One budgie to give treats to.

Don't get me wrong here - I love Ciri just as much as I loved (and still do) Bacci. But there's a void that's resulted in the wake of his passing - both in the physical and emotional sense.

If only I could see and feel him one more time, just for a moment. I would give him little scratches until the feathers on his head puffed up like a multicolored blowfish, tell him I love him, and most importantly, say goodbye.


No comments:

Post a Comment